Saturday, March 11, 2017

Boxing

I finally got my gloves and wrappings today for boxing class. It's my second week of boxing and I was feeling bad about borrowing gloves every time. The class is quite a challenge for me since I have never done stand-up before. I am accustomed to groundwork from Jiu Jitsu and standing while engaging in a combative sport is awkward for me. Boxing is more technical that I thought. This whole time I just thought that if you throw punches in whatever fashion you could box; I was wrong. You have to always be on the balls of your feet, keep your chin tucked, keep your eyes near the top and center of the opponents chest, and keep a narrow, sturdy stance. You have to simultaneously move around and with the opponent while trying to throw punches. When we practice, the instructor calls out 1; 1, 2; 1, 2, 3; 1, 3, 2...etc. I am still trying to associate the different types of punches with the number while trying to maintain proper form. Furthermore, my arms cannot handle much of the workout. My arms get sore only after a couple of punches. Even though I have to start from square one I hope that dedication will carry me forward. I can't wait to try my new gloves at the next class and the classes from hence forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment