Sunday, March 19, 2017

Keys to the house/17 Mar 2017

It was time to go and I had to rush out of work to meet the realtor Mara to get the keys to the apartment. My co-worker drove me to the place once and I drove there myself using a map printed off google maps, but when it was time to head out I could not find the map! I did not have time to go back and print off another map so I had to wing it. After about the third roundabout I was sure I was on the right track. About a million cars passed me between work and the apartment. I would rather them pass me than tailgate me...which happens often in Italy. I have to keep reminding myself that the culture is different but whenever I look in the rear-view mirror and see a car right behind mine, I can feel my blood boil. Its dangerous that people drive so close but I just have to ignore it because it is going to keep happening while living in Italy...the insurance in Italy is extremely high for a reason. As I pulled into a parking space I looked up at the second story of the apartment and saw my landlord, her husband, and the realtor on the balcony. I hurried over and walked inside the apartment with them. Inside was a bowl full of fresh fruit including a bundle of bananas, a pineapple, oranges, etc. The landlord also bought a bottle of wine as a welcoming gift. I later found a big water bottle and 2 cokes in the fridge. The realtor started explaining important features of the house. One example is the recycling. I will probably have to study in depth about how to recycle because it is quite extensive! I have 3 trash cans with multiple different types of trash bags that are different colors. They all serve a purpose for different types of trash. One is for organic waste, another for plastic, the other for cardboard; that's just the tip of the iceberg. A manual explains it all in depth and a calendar is included to show you which days to put out which type of trash on the street. If the rules are not followed then a heavy find is to be expected. Even though it is complected I am willing to do it because it is beneficial to the environment. Mara explained how to use the oven and details about the dishwasher, air conditioning, heat, etc. I have to be careful because the temperature dial is in Celsius and not in Fahrenheit. I also have to make sure to change the status of the heater/air conditioner when the weather changes seasons. Mara had to leave to go to her next appointment so I didn't get to ask too many questions; I would have to figure it out. One question I wished I would have asked was how to use the washer machine, or even better, what keys were for which locks on the huge key ring of jumbled keys. I will have to learn Italian quickly so I can ask these questions when I see the landlord again. All my neighbors are also Italian, so there will not be much social exchange in English... Its time I hit the books!
Aucun texte alternatif disponible.L’image contient peut-ĂȘtre : fruit, table, boisson, nourriture et intĂ©rieur

No comments:

Post a Comment