Thursday, March 23, 2017

Saturday Rolling/18 Mar 2017

I woke up early and listed off what I was thankful for as the usual. My body automatically wakes up between 0530 and 0600. Sometimes I lay in bed and think about random things like past memories or what I was going to do with the day. Today was already planned out and I wanted to get a head start on moving my things from the hotel to my new apartment. I mailed some gorilla boxes from Korea to Italy so I would have extra clothes and supplies while I waited for my TMO shipment to arrive. My apartment is only 10 minutes away from area F and the drive was calming. I parked next to the soccer field and started unloading my stuff.
 I'm on the second story of the building and climbed the stairs on the side of the building. I have to mention that in Italy they do not consider the first floor of a building as the first floor; the first floor is actually considered the 0 floor. For example, in America the first floor is the 1st floor and the 1st floor in Italy is floor 0. I walked up to my door and thought about how odd it was. The door does not have a nob that twists so I have to use the key and push on the door to open it. The electricity was not on so I opened the windows to allow light in. I would have to open the windows every day from now on anyway because of the radon.
Radon is a radioactive gas produced by naturally occurring elements which are common in soils, rocks, and building materials throughout the world. Most radon is released into the outdoor atmosphere; however, it can enter into houses through cracks and may accumulate inside buildings. In this way, the concentration levels inside buildings may be greater than the level outside. The levels measured inside buildings exceed the value recommended by the US environmental protection agency. This does not mean we will all die of radon poisoning! Risk is based on factors such as level of exposure, years of exposure, lifestyle, and exposure to other hazards. Since I'll be staying there for a couple of years, my exposure will not be as significant compared to someone who has established themselves in the area for many years. To avoid a buildup in the house, it is recommended to ventilate the house by opening windows periodically throughout the day.
I walked over to the windows to crack them open. The windows were also a bit different than what I am used to. Green shutters were outside the windows that folded open and closed. To open the window, I had to turn the handle to swing it open. I also had glass doors that opened onto the balcony. I walked upstairs to the loft and took a break on the orange couch (the apartment is themed with green and orange). I looked over at the desk in the corner and imagined myself studying there in the future. I looked over the edge of the loft down at the dinning table. It had 4 chairs sitting around it and I again imagined having those seats occupied by new friends. I have met a lot of people already from work, jiu jitsu, boxing, and even people from my previous bases. I feel as though I have seen a lot of familiar faces. I walked outside under the stairs connected to the side of the building to get to my garage. The air was a lot cooler since it was underneath the apartment building.I continued to walk up the ramp and back to my car. It was time for an ice cream break. There are a few places near my place like a pizza restaurant, a soccer field, a gelato place, a bus station, and a huge grocery store (the best part). I stopped at the gelato shop and got a scoop of hazelnut gelato, my favorite. It was time to head back because there was an open mat later for jiu jitsu.
    One of the jiu jitsu practitioner's from base picked me up and we drove 45 minutes to the town of Treviso where we met with locals who practice jiu jitsu. I have yet to study Italian so I could not communicate much with them. The instructor was a brown belt and showed up a couple of take downs before we started rolling. I was happy that some of the guys were my size; it makes rolling a bit easier. 2 hours later we said our farewells and headed back to base. I was super tired and headed to bed. It was a very productive day.

No comments:

Post a Comment